Thursday, April 10, 2008

beep bleep bleep boop (that's robot talk)


My friend Corey recently got reacquainted with an 80s film she loves and ordered herself a copy of the DVD Monster Squad. Watching the original trailer for Monster Squad made me all nostalgic for some of my faves from back in my 80s-hood. One gem was a robots-in-love flick which I could only vaguely remember and was having trouble finding, well searching paid off, I found it and it's called Heartbeeps. My very own shiny new dvd copy of it came today, it's as great as i remember and we all will be better humans for watching it.



Oh on a robot geneaology note Heartbeeps came out in 1981, Short Circuit in 1986, so for everyone claiming Wall-E (coming in June) is a rip off Johnny 5, it really goes something like Philco begat Johnny 5 begat Wall-E. (but yeah Philco and Wall-E look way more similar than Johnny 5) Just so you know.


PS - this nerdpost probably just solidified my marital status as "(eternally)SINGLE"

6 comments:

CoCo said...

The beauty of Monster Squad (1987) is that the 20th anniversary DVD is easily accessible, so it does not even have to be ordered. I'm most excited about the fact that I don't have to go to Blockbuster and rent it every Halloween, I can now watch it anytime I want. Beauty.

Darcy said...

Nerds are rad. Don't sell yourself short. Somewhere, out there, beneath the pale moonlight... some dork's thinking of you, and loving you tonight...

Renegade of Funk said...

There is hope for all nerds. Star Trek conventions, comicon, LOTR festivals, all prime market for the ladies. Just remember, the more detailed the costume the more numbers you're going home with.

f*bomb. said...

I don't know about that.
While I'm accepting the fact that I am loathe to suffer Lord of the Rings, I still get downright giddy over Star Wars and realized last week that I somehow managed to watch Terminator 3 (Awesome), iRobot, and rave over Star Wars to an absolute stranger. O yeah- and I got yet ANOTHER friend to watch the trailer for Iron Man. (giddy as a 12 year old boy in a comic shop!)

...O wait...are you saying that's why I'M single?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that meticulous make. The prices for the boots were all over 200 pounds everwhere. But completely I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what can you say about it?